Apostolic Priorities of the Midwest Jesuits
The Midwest Jesuits have identified six apostolic priorities on which they focus in an effort to fulfill their mission on a local level. The six priorities are listed below. For more information, please visit Our Ministries page.
- Evangelization: Evangelize contemporary culture with special emphasis on the needs and aspirations of young adults.
- Collaborative Ministry: Strengthen partnership with lay colleagues, especially in leadership roles.
- Ignatian Character of Our Schools: Assure the Ignatian heritage, Catholic identity, and Jesuit mission of our high schools and universities.
- Intellectual Apostolate: Contribute to the intellectual mission of the Church, especially by scholarship, research, and writing.
- Solidarity with the Poor: Choose to be with the poor in lifestyle and for the poor in mission, locally and globally.
- Spiritual Exercises: Make widely available the opportunity to experience the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius Loyola.
Universal Apostolic Preferences of the Jesuits Worldwide
1. Showing the way to God Show the way to God through the Spiritual Exercises and discernment
2. Walking with the Excluded Walk with the poor, the outcasts of the world, those whose dignity has been violated, in a mission of reconciliation and justice
3. Journeying with Youth Accompany young people in the creation of a hope-filled future
4. Caring for our Common Home Collaborate, with Gospel depth, for the protection and renewal of God’s Creation
The Universal Apostolic Preferences, developed in 2018, are the fruit of a process of discernment lasting almost two years. All Jesuits were invited to take part and in addition our mission partners. It concluded with a confirmation from Pope Francis in a special meeting with Fr General Arturo Sosa. The Preferences give a horizon, a point of reference to the whole Society of Jesus. They capture our imaginations and awaken our desires. They unite us in our mission.
The new Preferences are four areas vital for our world today. The Society of Jesus will pay special attention to them in the next ten years. We invite you to learn more and take action with us! We want to make a Gospel difference.